Summer’s calling and we are answering with a refreshing, cooling, and utterly delicious soup! This beautifully fresh and vibrant Oil Free Gazpacho features a cold tomatoey soup filled with garden veggie nourishing goodness. Fresh red bell peppers, sweet Campari tomatoes, cooling cucumbers, crisp corn, zesty green onions, and topped with roasted chickpea croutons making it perfect for a tasty summertime soup or appetizer. It is totally delicious and satisfying.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, and no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 ½ lbs. Campari tomatoes, seeded and chopped *
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped *
- 1 mini cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped *
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce *
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch cayenne pepper (+/-)
- Pinch teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Pulsed Add-In Ingredients:
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup mini cucumbers, seeded, small dice
- ¼ cup Campari tomatoes, seeded, small dice
- ¼ cup red or yellow bell pepper, small dice
- 1 heaping Tablespoons green onions, small slice
Optional Toppings (Sprinkle of each on individual servings):
- Chopped cilantro (or parsley or basil)
- Roasted chickpeas croutons *
- Mini cucumbers, unpeeled, small dice
- Red bell pepper (or yellow), small dice
- Green onions, small slice
- Avocadoes, small dice
- Cut and seed the tomatoes and place them in a high-speed blender or food processor, then add all the remaining ingredients (except the Pulsed Add-In Ingredients), blend until the soup is fairly smooth. The gazpacho will appear pink and a little foamy. The foam will calm down later. Taste test and add additional seasoning to achieve the desired flavor. Then add in the Pulsed Add-In Ingredients, and then do two quick pulses. You don’t want to break up the pulsed add-in ingredients too much. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes and serve cold.
- Add a sprinkle of each of the Optional Topping Ingredients to individual servings.
*Campari Tomatoes: We love the flavor of Campari tomatoes. They are perfect for this recipe as they have a full, rich, consistently sweet tomatoey flavor and are less acidic due to their natural sweetness. You can typically find them at most grocery stores marketed as “Campari” tomatoes or small sweet cocktail tomatoes. They are typically sold in 1 lb. and 2 lb. plastic see-through containers and are shown “on the vine.” Feel free to use your favorite garden tomato. The key to a great gazpacho is the rich, sweet flavor of the tomato. The best way to test a tomato for a gazpacho is to eat a small piece. The tomato should be slightly sweet, not overly acidic, and very flavorful.
*Amount of Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and Red Bell Peppers: Please note that the Pulsed Add-In Ingredient amounts are in addition to the regular ingredient amounts. For example, you will use 1 mini cucumber, peeled and seeded in the gazpacho soup plus ¼ cup unpeeled, small diced mini cucumbers.
*Hot Sauce: We used Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce.
*High-Speed Blender vs Food Processor: A high-speed blender will produce a smoother soup texture. A food processor will work as well; however, there will be more texture to the soup. We used a high-speed blender.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Roasted Chickpea Croutons: Preheat oven to 400 F. Drain and rinse a 15 oz. can of chickpeas, place in a bowl, sprinkle with them with the following: Sprinkle of each – sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and sweet paprika. Stir the chickpeas around the bowl until well coated, then dump them onto a parchment lined baking sheet, spread them out. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool. Serve as a fun and delicious crouton (or snack).
*Serving: 2 (about 3 cups)
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 3 days.