- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, fine dice
- 1 green bell pepper, small dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cups uncooked (dry) brown rice *
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 cup enchilada sauce *
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (+/-) *
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano *
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Chopped avocadoes
- Crushed tortillas
- Rinse the rice really well, set aside.
- Place the Herb/Spice Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the finely diced onions, jalapeno, and green bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften, then lower the heat to medium, add the minced garlic, sauté, stir constantly over for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and Herb/Spice Mix and sauté, stirring constantly until all the rice has been coated with the spices, about 20 seconds.
- Add the remaining Base Ingredients (except the corn and black beans) and to the skillet, stir to incorporate, then stir in the corn and black beans, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 35 minutes untouched.
- After 35 minutes, remove the lid and pull up a few grains of rice from the top of the skill, check for rice tenderness. If the rice is perfectly tender, it’s ready to serve. If the rice is not tender, continue to cook until the rice is tender. (See additional notes under TIPS for Success.)
- Serve with freshly chopped cilantro, avocados, and crushed tortillas.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.