Totally drooling over this satisfying, comforting cheese sauce with a wholesome vegan twist! Velvety and ultra-creamy, this rich and tangy Nut Free Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce is perfect for tortilla chip dipping, baked potato topping, French fry drenching, veggie drizzling, loaded nachos making, and so much more. It’s totally addictive! Healthy deliciousness never tasted so good.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 12 oz. Russet potatoes, peeled, small ½ inch dice (about 2 cups) *
- 1 small carrot, cut into thin coins (about ¼ cup)
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ume plum vinegar *
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon tahini *
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ + 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 4 oz. can mild green chilies (including liquid from can)
Optional Serving Ideas/Ingredients:
- Tortilla Chips
- Loaded Nachos
- Baked potatoes
- Place the diced potatoes and carrots into a small stock pot, cover with water, place on the stove, bring to a boil. Simmer at a low boil for approximately 13 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Drain the liquid, then place the carrots and potatoes into a high-speed blender.
- Add all the other remaining ingredients except for the can of green chilies. Blend on high until the sauce is creamy, smooth, and “cheezy”. You may need to use the tamper tool to keep the sauce moving. Note: depending on how thick or thin you want your cheese sauce, add in a little more water. Keep in mind there is a little liquid in the green chilies which you will stir in later. Taste test for flavor, add more spices to reach the flavor you desire.
- When the sauce is creamy and smooth, transfer to a bowl and stir in the green chilies (including liquid). Enjoy!
*Potatoes: The potatoes were measured in ounces prior to being peeled, then we ended up with approximately 2 cups of peeled and diced potatoes.
* Ume Plum Vinegar: We highly recommend using Ume Plum Vinegar, however you can substitute with another vinegar. Keep in mind the flavor will slightly change according to the vinegar used. (Plus, we have a bunch of other recipes that use ume plum vinegar.)
*Tahini: The tahini is optional, but it adds a nice layer of richness and creaminess to the sauce.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 2 ¼ cups sauce
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5-7 days.