Beans for the win with this incredible and flavorful dish! Spicy and sweet shine in this healthy, comforting Moroccan Skillet Beans that is sure to delight your taste buds with the first bite. Aromatic Moroccan spices, zesty onions, earthy garlic, sweet tomatoes, hearty beans, sweet raisins and Medjool dates come together in the most tasty way. Pair this easy and flavorful dish with your favorite grains for an ultimate weeknight meal.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 cup yellow onions, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup white wine *
- 1 cup water (or broth) *
- ½ cup vegetable broth *
- 1 [ 15.5 oz. ] can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 [ 15.5 oz.] can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup roasted red bell pepper, small dice *
- ¼ to ½ cup golden raisins (+/-) *
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted, fine dice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 2 ½ teaspoons harissa seasoning *
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 to ¼ cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
Optional Serving Ingredients/Ideas:
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Grains (such as quinoa, brown rice, millet, etc.)
- In a small bowl, add all the Herb/Spices Ingredients. Mix and set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium heat until they are soft, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and tomato paste, sauté for 30 seconds, add the Herb/Spice mix, sauté for about 30 seconds, just to release their fragrance then add the white wine and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly to allow the alcohol to reduce. This only takes a few minutes. The liquid left behind will be flavored with wine without the alcohol and will add a beautiful nuance of flavor.
- Then add the vegetable broth, water, chickpeas, roasted red bell peppers, cannellini beans, dates, and raisins. Stir well to combine, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Test taste for flavor, ramp up any spices as needed at this time. If spices are added, simmer for a few more minutes before serving to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve immediately with your favorite grain (quinoa, brown rice, millet, etc.) and/or flatbread and topped with fresh cilantro or parsley.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Roasted Red Peppers: You can also substitute with a regular red bell pepper, add with the diced onions, sauté until soft.
*Harissa Seasoning (North African Heat): We use Frontier Co-Op Organic Harissa Seasoning. We love this dry seasoning blend. Harissa Seasoning can sometimes be difficult to find in stores. We found it at Whole Foods. You can also purchase it off of Amazon or create your own blend. Be careful to not purchase Harissa paste that is packed in oil. The Frontier Co-Op brand is a blend of spices and herbs and is WFPB.
*Raisins: We used golden raisins, but regular raisins will work equally well in this dish. Additionally, we were divided over the amount of raisins to use. If you like just a little sweet with the spicy heat, use ¼ cup. If you enjoy sweet with the spicy heat, use ½ cup or more.
*White Wine: We used Vegan Sovereign Blanc White Wine, or any vegan dry white wine will work equally well. It adds dimension. The alcohol burns off and you are left with this beautiful nuance of flavor. You do not have to add the white wine, you may need to ramp up the flavors if you leave it out.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Makes: 4 servings
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 7 days.