Easy to make and nourishing, this oil free Miso Soup with Napa Cabbage and Noodles is bursting with umami flavor and plant based ingredients.
- .5 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms *
- 2 ½ cups boiling water
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup red peppers, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup white miso *
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- 2 ½ to 3 cups Napa cabbage, chopped *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- Pinch to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 to 12 oz. noodles *
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- Place the dried shiitake mushrooms in a bowl, cover with 2 ½ cups boiling water (they will steep for 30 minutes as you prepare the rest of the soup.)
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions, drain, rinse with cold water, set aside.
- In the meantime, in a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, carrots, and red bell pepper, sauté over medium-high heat until the veggies begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger, sauté for 30 seconds, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients (except the cabbage) and Spice/Herb Ingredients, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the dried mushrooms have finished steeping for 30 minutes, remove the mushrooms, then pour the mushroom water into the soup. Slice the mushrooms into smaller pieces (if needed), then place into the soup.
- Add the cabbage and simmer for 5 to 15 minutes, largely dependent upon how tender crisp to tender you enjoy the cabbage.
- Add the sliced green onions, simmer for one minute.
- To serve, place some the cooked noodles in the bottom of individual soup bowls and ladle the hot soup over top. Allow to sit for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 3 to 4