Full of Southwestern flair and flavor, these healthy Jalapeño Corn Muffins are so unbelievably delicious, you won’t want to stop eating them. Perfectly fluffy, packed with exceptional yumminess, and topped with a pickled jalapeño sends these savory muffins over the top to flavor town! An awesome accompaniment to any dish, making them the ultimate Whole Food Plant Based corn muffin! Vegan, no oil, no refined sugar, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
Dry Ingredients for 8 corn muffins:
- ¾ cup cornmeal *
- ¼ cup almond flour *
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt *
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Wet Ingredients for 8 corn muffins:
- 1/8 cup unsweetened almond butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons organic maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons unsweetened plain plant milk
Other Ingredients for 8 corn muffins:
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ yellow (or red or orange) bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 8 pickled mild jalapeno slices (optional) *
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Place the oven racks towards the middle, avoiding the lower oven rack placement.
- Line a muffin baking pan with 8 muffin paper liners. Set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Place all the wet ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir well until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Then add the diced jalapeno peppers, sliced scallions, diced bell pepper, and thawed corn, mix until well combined, but do not overmix the batter.
- Fill the muffin baking pan (with paper liners) to nearly the top up the muffin liner sides. The batter will rise slightly so do not overfill. Then place one mild pickled jalapeno pepper slice on top of each muffin, push down slightly to secure into the batter.
- Place the muffin baking pan into a preheated 375 F oven and bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. It is OK if there are a few crumbs on the toothpick, but it should not be gooey.
- Once out of the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins from the muffin baking pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Allowing the muffins to rest for 10 minutes allows them to firm up in texture.
- Serve warm.
*Pickled Jalapeno Peppers: We used Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers for the optional toppers.
*Cornmeal: We used Bob’s Red Mill Medium Grind Cornmeal)
*Almond Flour: This recipe was specifically designed to use almond flour. We have not tested nor can offer any substitutions.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 7 – 8 corn muffins
*Storage: Use within 2 days.