This delicious twist on a comforting Italian classic is so quick, easy, and most importantly delicious. Our homemade oil-free Italian Pasta and Peppers is full of flavor and nourishing ingredients! Tasty bell peppers, zesty garlic, and red onions are sautéed to perfection then combined with a light, yet flavorful sauce and loaded with creamy cannellini beans, baby spinach and wholesome pasta. It can be whipped up in just about 20 minutes and it is sure to make week nights a breeze, making it this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- ¾ cup vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water (or broth) *
- 1 Tablespoon tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon miso *
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (or Vegan Parmesan Cheese)
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 oz. GF pasta (or pasta of choice)
- Chopped parsley
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Red Pepper Flake
- Set a large pot of water to boil in preparation to cook the pasta. Place the pasta in the boiling water, cook according to package directions, when al dente’, drain and rinse the pasta with cold water to remove any excess starches and to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In the meantime, measure out all your spices (except the red pepper flake) into a small bowl, mix well. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined skillet, Dutch oven, nonstick skillet or similar stock pot, add the red onion and bell pepper strips and sauté over medium-high heat until they begin to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, then add the Spice/Herb Ingredients from Step 2, sauté to release their fragrance, about 30 seconds.
- Then add the veggie broth, water, tamari, miso, nutritional yeast, bring to boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the cannellini beans, stir well to incorporate all the ingredients, simmer until the peppers reach the desired stage of tenderness (typically about 3 to 6 minutes).
- Test the flavors, add the red pepper flakes. Add more spices, if necessary, to achieve the level of flavor you desire. Then add the cooked pasta and baby spinach, simmer until the pasta is heated through, then remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes to allow the pasta to absorb the flavors. Serve with Vegan Parmesan Cheese, freshly chopped parsley and red pepper flakes.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Water: This Italian dish is traditionally a drier style dish, in other words, the sauce is very minimal; it just coats the pasta. If you find that you would like more sauce, then add a tablespoon or so of water when you add the cooked pasta to the dish. Also note, 10 oz. of cooked pasta is the perfect sauce/pasta ratio. If you add more pasta, then we feel the pasta will not be thoroughly coated with the sauce.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Miso: We use Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also substitute with chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days.