When healthy meets flavorful, you’ve got a dish that just won’t quit! This beautiful dish combines wholesome greens and hearty beans with delicious Italian flavors! The best part is how versatile it is, topping all your favorites: mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, and more! Don’t miss this yummy way to get in those nutrient-packed greens! Whole Food Plant Based recipe, no oil, no refined sugar, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
- 1 large yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened, plain plant milk *
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon pure organic maple syrup
- 2 – [ 15.5 oz. cans ] cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- Pinch of crushed rosemary
- Pinch red pepper flake (+/- )
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/- ) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Fresh Greens: 1 large head of escarole – or – 6 cups of fresh baby spinach – or– large bunch of swiss chard – or – other combined greens of choice, chopped
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven, sauté the diced onions over medium heat until tender, approx. 6-9 minutes. Add a splash of water if the onions start to stick.
- Then add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add the Spice/Herb Mix and all the remaining ingredients except the greens. Stir well to combine. Increase the heat to boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste test the mixture and add additional seasonings of choice.
- Once the flavors have married, add the greens of choice and simmer until the greens reach the desired tenderness.
- Serving ideas:
- Mashed potatoes, oven roasted potatoes, baked potatoes
- Steamed rice
- Pasta of choice
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Plant Milk: The plain, unsweetened plant milk (we used almond milk) is used to balance out the acidity from the vegetable broth. If you are using a very mild vegetable broth, it may not be needed at all. Taste test the flavor of the broth after it has cooked for 5 minutes to test the acidity.
*Maple Syrup: The maple syrup is also used to balance with the vegetable broth. If using a very mild vegetable broth it may not be needed at all. Taste test the flavor of the broth after it has cooked for 5 minutes to test the acidity.
Fat Content = 1.3 g