Refreshing, light, and utterly delicious, this Italian Fresh Tomato Basil Pasta screams summertime goodness! Comforting pasta and skillet-burst tomatoes are bathed in a delicate vegan white wine sauce and topped with sweet basil and vegan parmesan creating an amazingly flavorful, simple, and dreamy dish. We hope you love this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- ½ cup red onions, small dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 12 sweet cocktail tomatoes, halved (about 2 ½ to 3 cups) *
- ½ cup vegan white wine
- Hot pasta water *
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 8 to 10 oz. Gluten Free spaghetti (or pasta of choice)
- Chiffonade fresh basil
Other Optional Ingredients:
- Red pepper flake
- Vegan Parmesan cheese
- Put a pot of water on to boil the pasta. Bring to a boil, then add the pasta to cook. Cook according to package directions until the pasta is al dente, then drain (save about ¼ cup hot pasta water), rinse the cooked pasta thoroughly with cold water to remove excess starch, and to stop the cooking process, drain to remove excess water, and set aside.
- In the meantime, place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot (or similarly large skillet) add the diced red onion, sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes to soften them, then add the finely minced garlic and sauté over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the halved cocktail tomatoes, and cook for a few minutes, stir and flip with the cut side down in the skillet, press the tomato halves with a fork to squash them a bit. This releases the juices. Simmer for a minute or two.
- Then add the white wine and cook for a few minutes to allow the alcohol to reduce. Add the Spice/Herb ingredients, stir well, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes. Add the cooked pasta and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Do not overcook. If there isn’t enough liquid, then add some hot pasta water, about one tablespoon at a time.
- Serve immediately with chiffonade fresh basil and a sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese and red pepper flake.
*Campari Tomatoes: We love the flavor of Campari tomatoes. They are perfect for this recipe as they have a full, rich, consistently sweet tomatoey flavor and are less acidic due to their natural sweetness. You can typically find them at most grocery stores marketed as “Campari” tomatoes or small sweet cocktail tomatoes. They are typically sold in 1 oz. and 2 oz. plastic see-through containers and are shown “on the vine.”
*Thickness/Thinness of Sauce: This is a fresh very thin sauce. It is light and refreshing. You may or may not need some extra liquid. Save some hot pasta water and add a little at a time (1 Tablespoon) to reach the desired amount of liquid relative to pasta. We added about 2 Tablespoons of hot pasta water.
*White Wine: We used Vegan Sovereign Blanc White Wine, or any vegan dry white wine will work equally well. It adds dimension. The alcohol burns off and you are left with this beautiful nuance of flavor. You do not have to add the white wine, but then you may need to ramp up the flavors if you leave it out.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 2 to 3
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.