Incredibly flavorful, rich, hearty and filling, this Instant Pot Vegan Beef Stew is the most beloved of all comfort foods, and the best part is that it is ready in under 25 minutes. It’s super easy to make; put all the ingredients into an Instant Pot for 14 minutes, and you are ready for a perfectly seasoned and hearty stew that is rich, thick, and delicious. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, no oil, no sugar, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
- 1 large yellow onion (finely minced in a food processor)
- 1 celery rib (finely minced in a food processor
- 1 carrot (finely minced in a food processor)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely minced in a food processor)
Veggie Stew Ingredients:
- 4 cups vegetable broth *
- 1 cup red wine *
- 1 – [ 14.5 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 1 – [ 8 oz. can ] tomato sauce
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes (unpeeled)
- ¾ cup small brown lentils (uncooked, rinsed well*)
- 4 carrots (peeled and sliced into pennies on the diagonal)
- 3 celery ribs (peeled and sliced on the diagonal)
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (or arrow root)
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk
- Whisk the cornstarch with the plant milk to create a slurry.
- Add the Battuto ingredients (onion, carrot, celery, and garlic) into a food processor, and process until the veggies are very finely minced, then add the Buttuto to the Instant Pot (no need to use sauté mode).
- Add all other remaining ingredients (except the peas and Slurry Ingredients) to the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot manual high pressure cook for 14 minutes. When finished, allow to sit for 2 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Once all the pressure is released, carefully remove the lid, remove the bay leaf (discard), and add in the frozen peas and slurry mixture. Stir to mix well.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Small Brown Lentils (Pardina/Spanish Brown): You can substitute any type of lentil for the brown lentil (other than red); however, you may need to adjust the cooking time. Small brown lentils typically cook a little faster than green lentils. We have found that the Small Brown Lentil works beautifully with this recipe.
*Red Wine: We used Honoro Vera Red Wine.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Serving: Makes 11 cups.