Savory and delicious, this Gluten Free Vegan Harvest Stuffing is brimming with aromatic herbs, tantalizing textures, and plant-based goodness.
- 2 cups diced yellow onions, small dice
- 1 cup diced celery, small dice
- 1 cup cubed apples, peeled, small cube ( 3/8 inch)
- ¾ cup pecan halves, toasted, chopped
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed *
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 cup GF panko *
- 1 ¼ teaspoons dried rubbed sage *
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- 1 teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- Pinch poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Other Optional Ingredients:
- ¼ to ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
- Toast them pecan halves in a dry skillet on medium heat for approximately 4 to 6 minutes, set aside to cool, then rough chop.
- Place the Herb/Spice Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well to combine, set aside.
- Placed the diced onions, celery, and apples into a large skillet, sauté over medium heat for approximately 7 to 9 minutes until tender. Add a splash of water (if needed) to prevent burning. Set aside.
- Place the cooked onions, celery, and apples, along with the toasted and chopped pecans, place into a large bowl, set aside.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, shake well to remove any excess water, then hand chop the chickpeas on a cutting board (or place into a food processor for a few seconds), just until slightly broken up. Do not create mush. You want to see texture. Place the chopped chickpeas into the large bowl with the cooked onions, celery, apples, and pecans.
- Place the tamari, vegetable broth, and tahini into a small bowl, whisk until well combined, set aside.
- Next add the panko and Herb/Spice Mix into the large bowl, mix well to evenly distribute all the ingredients.
- Pour the liquids from Step 7 over the stuffing mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Dump the stuffing mixture onto a baking sheet, form a cohesive log with the mixture, then flatten out into a cohesive flat rectangle about 1 ½ inch thick. Use the side of your hand to shore up the sides.
- Place in a preheated 375 F oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and immediately place into a glass bowl, stir in the dried cranberries at this time, (if using). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (or similar cover). Allow to sit for 5 minutes (covered), then remove the cover, serve, and enjoy.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 6
*Nutrition Information: Using less to no pecans will greatly reduce the fat content.