Rich, dense, ultra fudgy German Chocolate Bars topped with a lightly sweetened coconut and pecan spread and drizzled with chocolate and a sprinkle of pecan bits and coconut flakes. This delicious dessert feels decadent, but it’s healthy! So yummy, making it an ultimate Whole Food Plant Based dessert recipe! Vegan, no oil, no refined sugar, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup almond flour, lightly packed
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup date sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened, plain plant milk (we used almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Drizzled chocolate (melt approx. ¼ cup of chocolate chips in the microwave, then drizzle over top of the bars – We used Enjoy Life Mega Chocolate Chunks, vegan and gluten free)
- Extra pecan bits for decoration
- Extra coconut flakes for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add all the bar ingredients and pulse until the mixture forms a ball. The dough will be very sticky. It is not a pouring-type mixture. It forms a sticky ball.
- Place the ball onto the parchment paper lined 8 x 8 baking pan and begin to press the dough outward to evenly cover the bottom of the baking pan. It is SUPER sticky, you will need to wet your hands and press the dough downward and outward until the entire bottom of the pan is covered in dough and is even in thickness. It may be helpful to keep lightly wetting your hands to keep the dough from sticking to your hands while pressing it into the pan shape. Fix any rough edges, by pressing it down along the edges.
- Place the pan in the center oven rack in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove and allow to completely cool before frosting the bars.
German Chocolate Bar Topping Instructions
- Place the Medjool dates and pecans into a food processor and pulse until minced, then add the unsweetened shredded coconut and warm water into the food processor and pulse for about 5 to 10 seconds.The topping should be like a sticky paste.
- Place the topping on the cooled bars and spread evenly. It is sticky so you will have to work with it to spread it out evenly.
- Add optional toppings, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!