When those takeout cravings call, we’ve got an amazingly delicious stir fry that is sure to satisfy with a wholesome, flavorful twist. This saucy and delicious General Tso’s Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry is so easy to prepare and makes for a perfectly healthy, quick weeknight dinner; the whole family will be singing your praises. Earthy mushrooms, crisp broccoli and hearty chickpeas combined with an amazing umami sauce that is super tasty and hits all those takeout needs, making it this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon tamari *
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ cup tamari *
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon organic maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable broth *
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch (or thickener of choice)
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced green onions
- Sriracha sauce
- Steamed rice
- Prep all the veggies and mushrooms, set aside.
- Place all the Sauce Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk, set aside.
- In an enamel/ceramic lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, place the sliced mushrooms and one Tablespoon of tamari, sauté for 4 minutes over medium heat to release the water from the mushrooms; then place the small broccoli florets in the skillet with the mushrooms, cover with a lid and sauté the broccoli florets for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to sauté until the broccoli has reached the desired tenderness. Then add the chickpeas and the sauce, increase the heat, simmer until the sauce thickens and the broccoli and mushrooms are completely coated in the sauce. Lower the heat and simmer for one minute.
- Remove from heat, garnish with your favorite toppings.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Serving: 3 to 4
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 4 days