Satisfying, hearty, and delicious, this oil-free French Vegetable Soup (Soupe au Pistou) brings light, savory, and vibrantly flavors.
- ½ cup yellow onions, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 celery ribs. diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup green beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 3 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons white miso *
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petitie diced tomatoes
- 3 cups Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes *
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda *
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried crushed thyme leaves *
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ to 1 1/8 teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] cannellini , drained and rinsed *
- 1 cup frozen baby peas *
- .5 oz. package fresh basil *
- 1 garlic clove (+ more)
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 Tablespoon water
- pinch sea salt (+/-) *
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot/skillet, add the finely diced onions, celery, carrots, and zucchini. Sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 8 minutes until the onions are tender. (If needed to prevent sticking, add a splash of vegetable broth or water).
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute, then add the vegetable broth and water, heat to boiling, then immediately lower to a simmer. Then add in all the remaining Base Ingredients and the Spice/Herb Mix. Stir to incorporate, then simmer until the potatoes and carrots are perfectly tender, approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Once the potatoes are carrots are tender, stir in the beans and peas. Simmer for several minutes until heated through.
- In the meantime, while the soup is cooking, place the blanched almonds into a small bowl and cover with boiling water for 15 minutes. Then drain off the water and place the soaked almonds and all the remaining Pistou Ingredients into a food processor and pulse off and on, scraping the sides occasionally until the mixture forms a slightly chunky paste.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves, then serve the soup with a dollop of pistou on top.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 6 (makes approximately 12 cups)