Feel-good, wholesome, and comforting, this oil free Fennel Cabbage Skillet makes for a delicious meal or side that is sure to please.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 to 9 cups sliced green cabbage *
- 2 to 2 ½ cups thinly sliced fennel, stems and fronds removed *
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed *
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel seeds (powder) *
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Optional Toppings/Serving Ideas:
- Fennel fronds
- Serve over steamed rice
- Prepare all the veggies (onion, carrot, red bell pepper, garlic, cabbage, fennel), set aside.
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the diced yellow onions, grated carrot, and diced red bell pepper, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions, carrots, and red bell peppers are nearly tender, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and tomato paste, sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the sliced cabbage, sliced fennel, water, vegetable broth, and the Spice/Herb Mix, stir. Increase the heat, then cover with a tightly fitting lid and allow to come to a high boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Simmer the cabbage mixture until tender, approximately 8 to 15 minutes, largely dependent upon how tender you enjoy your cabbage.
- Add the beans, mix thoroughly and simmer to heat through, approximately 3 minutes, then remove from the stove to cool off.
- Allow to cool, with the lid cover on for 10 minutes to allow the flavor to develop.
- Stir, serve with fresh fennel frons and/or Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Serves 4 – Makes 7 ½ cups