Calling all garlic lovers! We have the perfect smashed potato for you! Creamy, flavorful, and bursting with garlicy goodness, these Garlic Lovers Mashed Potatoes are sure to put a smile on your face! Pair them with our delicious Fast and Easy Vegan Gravy for a fantastic side dish that is perfect for holidays and family dinners making it this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 7 lbs. russet potatoes, scrubbed, skins on *
- 1 cup (+/-) unsweetened, plain plant milk *
- 2 garlic bulbs, roasted *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt to taste *
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F to roast the garlic (see recipes notes for instructions).
- Scrub and clean the potatoes really well, then cut into halves (or quarters if large) and place in a large stockpot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, then lower to a low boil and cook for approx. 30 to 40 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- When tender, drain the water, add roasted garlic cloves from one bulb, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, pepper and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Do not use a beater. This dish is rustic mashed potatoes so you do not want the skins broken up too much.
- Then slowly start adding the plant milk and continue mashing. Add plant milk until the desired texture/consistency is reached. You may need additional plant milk for creamier smashed potatoes.
- Taste test the flavor. This is when you will decide if you want to boost the flavor by adding the 2nd roasted garlic bulb cloves. You can add a few cloves at a time. We ended up using all the cloves from two roasted garlic bulbs. You can adjust the flavors; increase seasonings, if desired, to suit your personal preferences.
- Serve immediately.
*Potatoes: Select a potato that has a thin skin that is easily cleaned. We also used a russet potato as it is drier and not creamy like a Yukon gold.
*Roasted Garlic: Roasting garlic is very easy and adds tons of flavor to dishes. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Take a sharp knife and cut about a third of an inch off the top of a garlic bulb, just to expose the garlic clove tops. (Skins on) Wrap the garlic bulb (cut side up) in some parchment paper and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, turn off the oven, and allow the garlic bulbs to sit in the hot oven for 10 minutes or until the cloves are soft. Allow to slightly cool before popping them out of the skins to prevent burns. Mash into a paste. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Note: you can place the parchment paper wrapped garlic bulb in a muffin tin to keep the cut side up while roasting in the oven. You may want to roast several bulbs at a time and keep the extras refrigerated.
This recipe calls for two garlic BULBS (not to be confused with individual cloves). It packs a flavorful pow of delicious roasted garlic flavor. We used 7 pounds of potatoes, so adjust accordingly as needed. We suggest adding the roasted garlic a little at a time until personal flavor preferences have been achieves.
*Plant Milk: Use as little or as much plant milk as needed to reach the desired consistency. We like a more rustic mashed potato so we used about one cup for 7 pounds of potatoes. Adjust the amount based upon consistency preferences.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 10 to 12 servings.