Brimming with healthy deliciousness, this Fast and Easy Sundried Tomato Basil Sauce can be made in a flash, coming together in less than 20 minutes, and the best part is that no cooking of the sauce is required. It’s a total game changer! Simple ingredients blended together for an amazing sauce that is sure to be a winning dinner (or lunch)! This week’s Whip It Up Wednesday recipe is perfect for weeknights when you need something fast and tasty to feed a hungry family. A fabulous Whole Food Plant Based recipe, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds (no pre-soaking required)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth)
- ½ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach, packed
- ¼ cup fresh basil, packed
- 6 sundried tomatoes, soaked * (we used Mediterranean Organic Sundried Roman Tomatoes)
- 1 lb. dry pasta of choice
- Basil, chiffonade
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Roasted cocktail tomatoes *
- Select sundried tomatoes not preserved in oil. We used Mediterranean Organic Sundried Roman Tomatoes. Place approx.7 sundried tomatoes in a small bowl and cover with boiling water for 15 minutes to soften them up. Then drain off the water and chop them into small pieces. You will need 3 Tablespoons (packed) of the chopped sundried tomatoes.
- In the meantime, add the raw slivered almonds to a high-speed blender and pulse on high for one minute. Then add all the remaining ingredients: chopped sundried tomatoes, vegetable broth, plant milk, water, lemon juice, and the dry seasonings (onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, pepper), fresh basil, and spinach into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Place the pasta in the boiling water. Cook according to package directions. When the pasta is cooked to desired tenderness, drain. Serve individual servings with the uncooked sauce. The hot pasta will warm the sauce.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Sundried Tomatoes: Be sure to select oil free sundried tomatoes. They are typically dried like dates. You will need to soften them up by covering them with some boiling water and soaking for approx. 15 minutes.
*Roasted Cocktail Tomatoes (Optional): Cocktail tomatoes are a little larger than a cherry tomato. Set the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then cut the desired number of cocktail tomatoes in half. Place them with the cut-side up on the baking sheet. Sprinkle each cut tomato with sea salt, pepper, and dried basil. Broil on high for 7 to 8 minutes, then switch the oven from broil to bake (400F) and bake for 8 minutes. Be careful, do not place the tomatoes on the highest shelf rack for broiling. The parchment paper could catch fire.
*Serving: Makes approx. 2 ½ cups of sauce, about 4 servings
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 4 days.
If you try this recipe, we would love to know if you love it as much as we do. We would love for you to leave us a review!