This amazing homemade enchilada sauce ensures that you will never buy store bought enchilada sauce again. The recipe comes together quickly and is very easy to make. A fabulous Whole Food Plant Based recipe. Oil free, sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- 3 Tablespoons flour (of choice)
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt *
- 3 cups water
- 1 – [ 8 oz. can ] tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- Combine the dry spices in a small bowl, stir to incorporate. Set aside.
- Heat a ceramic lined/enameled skillet over medium heat. When skillet is heated, add the flour and dry spices. Dry stir constantly to heat the flour and release the fragrance of the spices, approx. 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the water, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir until well combined, smooth, and slightly thickened. Continue stirring over medium heat, then lower to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Include in your favorite recipe or cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.