Creamy, cozy, and flavorful, this Easy Oil Free Aloo Palak (Potato Spinach Curry) recipe is a simple Indian dish made with wholesome spinach, starchy potatoes, and fragrant Indian spices.
- 5 to 6 cups, potatoes, peeled, ½ inch cubes *
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed *
- 1 – [ 4 oz. can ] mild green chiles, drained *
- 1 ¼ cups light coconut milk *
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach (divided)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cumin (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon curry powder (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander (+/-)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (+/-)
- Pinch fenugreek seed powder (+/-) (optional) *
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Peel and dice the potatoes, place them in a medium-sized stock pot covered with cold water. Add a sprinkle of sea salt. Boil just until tender, approximately 10 to 13 minutes, drain, rinse, and set aside.
- In a large stock pot (or skillet), add the diced onions, sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a couple of tablespoons or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger, sauté for one minute. Remove from the stove, set aside.
- Place all the Blender Ingredients (using ½ of the baby spinach, 2.5 oz.) into a high-speed blender along with the sauteed onions, garlic, and ginger. Blend on high until smooth and emulsified, about one minute.
- Pour the blender spinach sauce back into the pot.
- Finely chop the other half of the fresh baby spinach (2.5 oz.) and add to the spinach sauce along with the Spice/Herb Mix. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are just tender, drain, rinse the potatoes with cold tap water, then add to the spinach sauce. Gently mix. Allow to simmer on low for 5 minutes to allow the potatoes to absorb some of the spinach sauce, then serve and enjoy.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.