Healthy and hearty, this oil-free, low-fat Easy Garlic Mushroom Pasta is made with simple ingredients and is perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced *
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 oz. GF spaghetti (or pasta of choice) *
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the spaghetti. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Check package directions on cooking times and/or boil the pasta until el dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside.
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions are softened, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the mushrooms and tamari, sauté for 3 to 5 minutes to allow the mushrooms to reduce.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 1 minute, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and simmer for several minutes to ensure the pasta has been thoroughly heated through. Stir well, then remove from the stove and allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve topped with freshly chopped parsley and/or Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.