Healthy and satisfying, this Easy Cashew Chickpeas and Noodles is brimming with nourishing ingredients all coated with a delicious sauce.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ to 1 cup cashews, roasted *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed (+/-) *
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon molasses *
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce (+/-) *
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 10 to 12 oz. linguini (or pasta of choice) *
- Sliced green onions
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the linguini. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Check package directions on cooking times and/or boil the pasta until el dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside until Step 5. If the pasta gets sticky while waiting, simply rinse with cold water to loosen it up again.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions and red bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions and peppers are softened, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- In the meantime, place all the Sauce Ingredients into a bowl, whisk well to combine.
- Once the peppers and onions reach the desired tenderness, add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, then add the roasted cashews and chickpeas, stir for several minutes over medium heat, then add the Sauce and simmer over medium-high heat stirring constantly until the sauce thickens, then reduce the heat, simmer for several minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta, mix well to evenly distribute and coat the pasta. Simmer for several minutes to ensure the pasta has been thoroughly heated through. Stir well, then remove from the stove and allow to sit for 3 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve topped with sliced green onions.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.