This beautiful Cucumber Tomato Salad is summer time in a bowl. Fresh, simple ingredients shine in this delicious flavorful salad. This week’s Whip It Up Wednesday recipe is both fast and tasty. The dressing is light and refreshing, allowing all the natural veggie flavors to hold their own. Fresh garden vegetables make this salad a healthy and delicious lunch dish or dinner side salad. Whole Food Plant Based recipe, no oil, no refined sugar, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
- 1 medium red onion (½ finely diced, ½ cut into narrow strips)
- 2-pounds mini seedless cucumbers, cut into pennies – skins on/off – see notes * (about 10 small or 2 large English cucumbers – cut into half moons)
- 1-pound grape/cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 10 – 15 large basil leaves, chiffonade
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 6 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoons organic maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Additional basil leaves, chiffonade
- Baby spinach leaves, fresh (to make a bedding for the salad)
- Place all the Salad Dressing Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk well. Set aside.
- Prepare all your Salad Ingredient veggies and place in a large bowl.
- When ready to serve, pour the Salad Dressing over the veggies and toss. Taste test for seasoning, add more if desired. (We added more sea salt and pepper).
- Optional Serving Ideas: Lay down a bed of baby spinach and place the salad on top. Top with additional chiffonade basil leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Baby seedless cucumbers: Most stores have mini baby seedless cucumbers; however, English cucumbers will work really well too. We used a veggie peeler and removed strips of the cucumber skins in a “zebra” striped pattern before cutting the cucumbers into pennies.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Nutritional Information: Does not include Optional Toppings
*Dressing: Wait to dress salad until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 44.1
- Sugar: 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.9 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 1.2 g