Wholesome, rich, and full of herbaceous flavor, this Creamy Herb Potato and Kale Stew is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
- ½ cup [raw] cashews *
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms *
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth *
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled, cut 1-inch cubes *
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon dried powdered rosemary *
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- ¼ teaspoon dried rubbed sage *
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch turmeric (optional)
- Large pinch cayenne pepper *
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- ½ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby kale
- Place the cashews in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except bay leaf) into a small bowl, mix to combine, set aside.
- In a large, deep, ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven or similar sized stock pot, add the onions, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes until the onions start to soften. (If needed to prevent sticking, add a splash of vegetable broth or water).
- Add the sliced mushrooms and tamari, sauté over medium heat to allow the mushrooms to reduce, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and the Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine; turn heat to high to bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately reduce the temperature to a simmer. Tuck in the bay leaf. Simmer with a very low boil until the potatoes are tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- REMOVE the bay leaf from the stew. Drain the cashews, discard the water. Place the drained cashews into a high-speed blender with ½ cup of plant milk and one cup of the stew mixture. Be sure to include some potatoes, mushrooms, and some broth in the one cup of stew mixture. Blend on high until smooth and emulsified. Then add the blended mixture to the stew. Stir well to incorporate into a thick creamy stew.
- Add the chopped fresh baby kale, simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until the kale wilts into the desired texture. Then taste test, ramp up any additional spices and herbs as needed.
- Serve with a generous hunk of crusty bread.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 to 6