Simplicity in the most elegant way is the perfect way to describe this drool worthy dish! Rich, velvety, and bursting with flavor, this Creamy Herb Mushroom Pasta is total wholesome comfort food! Tasty, chewy pasta drenched in a decadent cashew herb sauce is topped with earthy sautéed mushrooms. Healthy, delicious, and ready in about 30 minutes, this luscious dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner with the family or elegant dinner parties alike.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons flour/thickener of choice (we used gf flour)
- ½ cup white wine *
- ½ cup vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon miso *
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme *
- Pinch of crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 oz. mushrooms of choice, sliced *
- 2 Tablespoons tamari *
- 10 oz. to 12 oz. pasta of choice, cooked *
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot/skillet, add the sliced mushrooms and 2 Tablespoons of tamari, sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to allow the mushrooms to release their water. After 5 minutes, remove the mushrooms from the pan (including any remaining liquid/mushroom juice), set aside. Note: You can add the mushroom juice back in with the mushrooms in step 7, if you want a more mushroomy flavor. We did not add the juice back in.
- In the same large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot/skillet, add the finely diced onion, sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until the onions are tender. (If needed to prevent sticking, add a splash of vegetable broth or water).
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sautéed onions and garlic and then sauté the flour for a few minutes. Then add the Spice/Herb ingredients, stirring constantly for 30 seconds more. The contents will look like flour covered lumps, that is fine.
- Stir in the white wine, stirring constantly to allow the sauce to thicken. It will look like a gooey lump. Add the plant milk, water, broth, miso and cashews, simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from the stove to cool slightly.
- Then place the sauce it into a high-speed blender and blend on high for one minute to make the mixture creamy and smooth, then return to the cooking pot.
- Next gently fold in 2/3 of the sautéed mushrooms, keeping 1/3 of the mushrooms for topping. Cook for a minute or two. Then stir in the cooked pasta.
- Serve immediately with freshly chopped parsley, Vegan Parmesan Cheese, and the remaining mushrooms.
*Mushrooms of Choice: We found the best flavor combination was 4 oz. of white button mushrooms, 4 oz. of shitake mushrooms, and 4 oz. of cremini mushrooms.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Tamari: We usedSan J Tamari Soy Sauce Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium.
*White Wine: We used Vegan Sauvignon Blanc White Wine, or any vegan dry white wine will work equally well. The white wine flavor makes a difference. It totally makes this recipe by adding dimension. The alcohol burns off and you are left with this beautiful nuance of flavor. You do not have to add the white wine, you will need to ramp up the flavors if you leave it out. The white wine just takes this dish to the next level of deliciousness.
*Dried Crushed Thyme Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. Dried and crushed thyme leaves are not the same as ground thyme. Ground thyme has a powdery consistency. Whereas dried and crushed thyme leaves have texture. You can use either in this recipe. We used dried and crushed thyme leaves, so if you are using ground thyme, scale back to half of the amount indicated in the recipe and check for flavor consistency.
*Pasta of choice: You can use your favorite pasta or gnocchi in this dish. We used Delallo Gluten Free Pasta Penne (made from whole grain brown rice.)
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Servings: 4-5 Servings
Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.