Fast and easy, this tasty Cornmeal Biscuit is slightly sweet and is perfect with a bowl of your favorite stew or simply as a breakfast treat, toasted and slathered with jam making this cute cornmeal biscuit a delicious Whole Food Plant Based recipe! Vegan, no oil, no refined sugar, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon golden flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- Line a 4 ½ inch ramekin* with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place all your dry ingredients (cornmeal, rolled oats, golden flax seeds, baking powder, and salt) into a high-speed blender. Blend for 30 seconds on high or until the ingredients are finely broken down into a flour-like consistency. Set aside.
- Place the wet ingredients (applesauce, maple syrup and almond milk) into a bowl, mix well to combine, then add the blended dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir well to thoroughly combine. You want to have a sticky ball.
- Place the sticky ball into the parchment paper lined ramekin and flatten out with the back of a spoon. Try to make sure it is evenly spread and you want to avoid any air pockets.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes (see notes for using the oven.) Remove from the microwave (be careful it’s hot) and place on the counter (or wire rack) to cool undisturbed for a full 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, flip the ramekin over. The cornmeal biscuit will pop out, remove the parchment paper. Optional: Sometimes there is condensation on the bottom of the biscuit, pop under the broiler to dry it out or if you plan to toast it, the toaster will dry it out.
- If using as an “English Muffin,” slice in half, place in the toaster to toast, and then spread with your favorite toppings.
*Ramekin: The ramekin we used measured 4 ½ inches across the bottom and 5 inches across the top. You can also use a ceramic coffee mug that has a large circumference.
*Gluten Free Products: Gluten Free products are not required for this recipe if your diet does not restrict gluten.
*Serving: Makes one 4 ½ inch cornmeal biscuit
*Oven Directions from Big Man’s World: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then begin making the Cornmeal Biscuit as instructed. Once you form a sticky ball, place the sticky ball in the parchment lined ramekin and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. You want to make sure the center is cooked and edges have a golden brown color. Take out of the oven, let cool a couple minutes, then flip the ramekin over. The cornmeal biscuit will pop out, remove the parchment paper. If using as an “English Muffin,” slice in half, place in the toaster to toast, and then spread with your favorite toppings.