Why have just regular pasta, when you can have bold, rich, flavorful Cajun Pasta and Peppers? We have this comforting dish on repeat! Tasty bell peppers, nourishing collard greens, and hearty black-eyed peas come together in delicious Cajun saucy goodness then tossed with chewy pasta. A fantastic week night meal where the whole house smells of Cajun deliciousness and everyone is running to the dinner table.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 cup red onion, fine dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 celery ribs, small dice
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon thickener of choice *
- 1 cup vegetable broth *
- 1 cup water (or broth)
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium tamari * (see notes)
- 1 Tablespoon miso *
- 6 medium-sized collard green leaves, thick vein removed, cut into long strips
- 1 – 15 oz. can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme *
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 oz. of cooked pasta of choice, drained and rinsed
- Chopped parsley
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Red Pepper Flake
- Set a large pot of water to boil in preparation to cook the pasta.
- Measure out all your spices (except the cayenne pepper and red pepper flake) into a small bowl, mix well. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, nonstick skillet or similar stock pot, add the red onion, celery, and bell peppers; and a tablespoon of water, place the lid on and sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, sprinkle the flour over the veggies, and sauté for about one minute, then add the Seasoning/Spice Ingredients from Step 2, sauté to release their fragrance, about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Then add the veggie broth, tamari, miso, lemon juice, plant milk, and water, bring to boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the black-eye peas and collard greens. Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the pasta in the boiling water, cook according to package directions, when al dente’, drain and rinse the pasta with cold water to remove any excess starches. Set aside.
- After 10 minutes, test the flavors, add the cayenne pepper. Add more spices, if necessary, to achieve the level of flavor you desire. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Cook for a few minutes, then add the cooked pasta and red pepper flake, heat until heated through, then serve immediately with additional toppings.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients. If using a brand other than Pacific that has a mild/mellow flavor, you may wish to use 1 ½ cups broth and ½ cup water. Also, if you like more liquid, add a bit more broth or water at the end.
*Thickener of Choice: We used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free flour.
Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Cayenne Pepper: If you are concerned about heat, start low and taste test at the end. You can ramp up the heat with more cayenne pepper or use hot sauce on individual servings.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also substitute with chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days.
*Servings: 4 to 5