Bowl – check, spoon – check, total comfort food that is going to make your tummy happy – check! This incredibly hearty, satisfying, and oh-so-delicious vegan, oil free Cabbage Potato Bean Soup is packed with aromatic spices, nutritious veggies, and bursting with autumn vibes. Hearty potatoes, onions, cabbage, carrots, and beans with a light and flavorful broth simmer together creating deeply satisfying soup the whole family will love. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, and no highly processed ingredients.
- 6 large white potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ small green cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups vegetable broth *
- 4 cups water (or broth)
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon white miso *
- 1 Tablespoon ume plum vinegar *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke (+/- to taste) – (optional) *
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed fennel
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (+/- ) *
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- Pinch red pepper flake
- Red pepper flakes
- Italian microgreens
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined deep skillet, Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot, add the onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until the veggies start to get tender. (If needed to prevent sticking, add a splash of vegetable broth or water).
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add the water, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, and miso bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the Spice/Herb Mix and all the remaining ingredients except for the cannellini beans, and simmer until the potatoes and cabbage are just about tender. Then add the cannellini beans, simmer until the potatoes and cabbage are tender.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Ume Plum Vinegar: Ume Plum Vinegar is perfect for this recipe as it has that deliciously tangy flavor which complements the cabbage. It is relatively inexpensive. We use it quite frequently and it worth requesting it from your local grocery, or ordering off of Amazon in our humble opinion.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also substitute with chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Liquid Smoke: The liquid smoke is optional. If you would like to try it, we suggest adding a little bit at a time to test it out. It does add a nice flavor component to this dish.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Makes: 4-5 Servings
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 7 days.