Switch up your dinner routine with this delicious Budget Friendly Easy Italian Bean Skillet that comes together quickly for those busy week night meal.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 medium zucchini, unpeeled, small dice *
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 – [ 8 oz. can ] tomato sauce
- ¾ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] white beans, drained and rinsed *
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Fresh chopped parsley or basil
- Baked potato
- Steamed rice
- Place all the Herb/Spice Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet, Dutch oven, or non-stick skillet, add the diced onions, diced zucchini, and ¼ cup water, cover, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften.
- Uncover and add the minced garlic, sauté for one minute uncovered.
- Next add all the Base Ingredients (except for the beans and baking soda) and the Herb/Spice Mix. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat, add the baking soda, stir well, then add the white beans. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the stove, allow to sit for 5 minutes to marry the flavors. Serve over baked potatoes, steamed rice, toast, quinoa, or pasta with freshly chopped parsley or basil.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.