Comforting, flavorful, and easy, this 20-minute BBQ Chickpea Pasta is brimming with wholesome goodness and barbecue deliciousness. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 cup yellow onions, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water (or broth)
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon BBQ sauce
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch black pepper (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed *
- 9 oz. GF fusilli pasta (or pasta of choice)
- Nutritional yeast
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Boil the pasta until el dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside, then transfer the cooked pasta into the sauce in Step 5.
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet, Dutch oven, or non-stick skillet, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften, then add the finely minced garlic and sauté over medium heat for several minutes.
- Add all the remaining Base Ingredients, then increase the heat to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer, add the Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine. Simmer on low for 4 minutes. Taste test and adjust as needed.
- Next add the chickpeas and cooked pasta, stir well to combine. Simmer on low for 2 minutes. Then remove from the stove and allow to sit undisturbed for 4 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and the pasta to absorb the flavors.
- Serve topped with nutritional yeast and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
*Tips for Success: While it is very tempting to use more pasta then 9 oz.; it is important to understand that the more pasta you use, the less sauce will be available for this dish, and it will become dry. We found that 9 oz. is the perfect pasta to sauce ratio for this dish.
*BBQ Sauce: Use your favorite BBQ sauce. We used our Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Sauce thickness: This sauce is not a thick sauce. After you remove the skillet from the stove and allow it to sit to absorb flavors, it will slightly thicken.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.