Healthy and brimming with feel-good ingredients, these delicious Banana Nut Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are the perfect on-the-go treat when you need something fast and satisfying.
- 3 cup rolled oats
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons maple sugar (or date sugar, coconut sugar) *
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon (+/-)
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Pinch ginger powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt *
- 4 medium ripe bananas (2 cups mashed)
- ½ cup natural unsweetened peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon molasses *
Other Optional Ingredients:
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the oven rack in the center position.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place all the remaining Dry Ingredients into the bowl, whisk until well combined.
- Place the bananas into a medium-sized bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. It’s perfectly fine to have some very small chunks of bananas remaining. The bananas should look like pudding after thoroughly mashing.
- Add the all the remaining Wet Ingredients to the mashed bananas and mix well to evenly distribute all the ingredients.
- Add the Oat Mixture to the Banana Mixture, stir well for several minutes until all the ingredients are well mixed and incorporated.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts (see notes)*, then transfer the mixture to the parchment paper lined 8×8 baking pan. Press down to create a level, even surface.
- Place in a preheated 350 F oven for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for at least one hour to firm up, then loosen the edges not covered by parchment paper using a thin-bladed knife, score, cut, serve, and enjoy.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.