This quick and easy Asian Lentil Chickpea Lettuce Wraps recipe is healthy, hearty, and delicious.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup matchstick carrots *
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] brown lentils, drained and rinsed *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed *
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium tamari *
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1 to 2 heads of Romaine lettuce (or other lettuce), leaves separated, rinsed, and dried *
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Sliced green onions
- Make the sauce by placing all the Sauce Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk well, set aside.
- Place the diced onions, red bell peppers, and matchstick carrots into an enamel-lined/ceramic-lined skillet or similar nonstick skillet, sauté over medium-high heat until the veggies just start to soften (or tender/crisp), add a splash of water if the veggies start to stick.
- Then add the lentils and chickpeas, stir to combine. Sauté for several minutes to thoroughly heat through, then add the sauce. Stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and coats the mixture. Simmer for several minutes, then remove from the stove.
- Serve in individual lettuce cups with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.